2013/14 Winter League - Format discussion/proposals

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
andytk
andytk's picture
2013/14 Winter League - Format discussion/proposals

As it's nearly September and the days are getting shorter it's probably a good time to be thinking about a winter league.

The first question is: Do we want one? Do we have enough interest from players (with/without nearby clubs?)?

Similar to London I'd suggest we take proposals for the format and vote on them. If there are no proposals we'll default to standard 3x3 tournament with something like 20min games or 2x 15min halves.

Discussion will run from now until the 20th September. Voting will be open for a week after that and depending on the outcome either 1 or 2 weeks will available for teams to sign up and we'll aim to start week beginning 7th or 14th October.

andytk
andytk's picture

No proposals? No interest?

Emyr
Emyr's picture

I'd take part, and assuming we don't insist on Tuesdays I guess the Sheffield crew might be interested...

Corner people who turn up for polo and ask them about their availability.

John
John's picture

Count me in

AKing
AKing's picture

I want to be more involved in team games, but can't do Tuesdays.

snottyotter
snottyotter's picture

We could do something similar to Hull but made to incorporate every combination of teams. Everyone who's interested goes onto a list ad then every 3 person team has to play every other 3 person team. Points go to the player, with the usual 3 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss and goals can be either individually counted or per team depending on how we want to encourage play or be arsed counting. Games should be best of 3 I reckon, pre arranged and either at regular sessions if others are cool with it or other days if they can sort a ref/score keeper out. If they are on regular days then maybe a max of 1 set of 3 team games per session with throw ins in between, or if everyone there is on a team and wants to do a triple header that's cool as long as no one is left out. There should be a nice league table at the end of best players and best teams and a load of stats for Emyr to look over.

Emyr
Emyr's picture

Ha! Sounds waaay too complicated considering we failed to deliver the league idea last year.

snottyotter
snottyotter's picture

Nah, once we get through the first lot of games with the teammates you're used to playing with it'll be fine to tidy up the leftover combinations and there should be enough games to encourage everyone to play throughout the bleak midwinter with a relatively small number of players.

snottyotter
snottyotter's picture

Maybe even some kind of play off final with the players in 1st/3rd/5th against 2nd/4th/6th and a (slightly more organised than usual)piss up afterwards.